Just 16% of the world's A340s, 747s & A380s are in service

Aviation data analytics provider Cirium has recorded just 16% of the world's passenger Airbus A340s, Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s are in service, demonstrating the dramatic withdrawal of quad-engined planes as a result of the coronavirus crisis.

British Airways confirmed the retirement of its Boeing 747s. Photo by Chris Phan | AeroNewsX

The coronavirus crisis has forced many airlines to reconsider their entire operation whether that be through withdrawing aircraft, cutting routes or all of the above. British Airways and Qantas, to name a few, have taken the decision to retire their entire Boeing 747 fleets.


As we reported earlier today, British Airways' decision to retire the Boeing 747 is significant, not least because it was the largest operator of the type with 31 examples, the majority of which having been placed into storage as a result of the coronavirus crisis.


The move, which will allows British Airways to move further towards its goal of reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, follows a similar announcement from Australia's Qantas in late-June to ground the type with immediate effect. The airline, unlike British Airways, planned a series of farewell flights over Australia, the last of which was completed earlier today.


"Cirium classifies just seven of the global fleet of 239 A380s as having in-service status, while 114 of the 169 remaining A340s are in storage. Meanwhile, 139 of the remaining 170 passenger 747s are parked," the organisation reports. On Wednesday, just 32 A340s, 747s and A380s operated scheduled services.


Overall, Cirium has recorded that just 37% of the world's aircraft are in service, while the remaining 63% are in storage. In early-July, AeroNewsX noted a recovery in India's aviation industry based on data from the aforementioned analytics provider, which demonstrated a 75% decline in stored aircraft at Delhi Airport.

Follow us on:

  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Popular articles:

Boeing 777X Completes Maiden Flight

Boeing’s newest and most ambitious project of revamping the already popular 777 family has taken to the skies and successfully completed its first ever flight, on January 25, 2020.